PAME demands representation in PM&DC,
HEC Journals Recognition Committees
Medical institutions urged to arrange CPD programmes in
medical journalism and research in collaboration with PAME
LAHORE: Pakistan Association of Medical Editors in the concluding session
of its just concluded Second National Conference held at University of
Health Sciences Lahore has passed a number of recommendations to promote
the art of scientific publishing in Pakistan. One of the important
recommendations calls for giving PAME representation in the Journals
Recognition Committees formed by the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council
as well as Higher Education Commission. This will enable PAME to give
their input to improve the criteria of recognition/approval of the
journals by these bodies.
Other recommendations include:
* All medical institutions including medical universities should
arrange/encourage Continuing Professional Development programmes in
medical journalism and research in collaboration with PAME.
* All medical institutions including medical universities should establish
Institutional Review Boards/Ethics Committees to address ethical issues in
research and in future IRB/Ethics Committee approval may be considered
mandatory for manuscripts to be published in biomedical journals.
* All biomedical journals should follow the Committee on Publication
Ethics (COPE) guidelines in addressing issues related to publication
* Biennial conference of PAME should be held in all provinces on rotation
basis, with subsequent workshops in different areas of Pakistan.
* Pakistan should take a lead in establishing SAAME (South Asian
Association of Medical Editors). (Some preliminary discussions, it may be
mentioned here were held between Prof.Maj.Gen. M.Aslam and Akhtar Sherin
from Pakistan and some Indian Medical Editors during the WAME Conference
held in United States last year).
* Medical Journals from Pakistan should ensure maximum participation in
the next Conference of Eastern Mediterranean Association of Medical